_________________I am Mrs. Kalpana Mhaske, a Home-Maker, from the city of 52-Gates, one of the famous heritage- destination of the world- Ajanta - Ellora Caves, Bibi-Ka- Maqbara (The Taj of Deccan) and Deogiri Fort. i.e. AURANGABAD. I admire cooking - tryout and innovate different cuisines. Basically, both of my gorgeous daughters are foodie, they have always encouraged me in the kitchen and forced to carve a Food Blog, that’s why, I am happy to share the makings with you. I am an artist too. Painting – especially, Canvas-Painting is my one more hobby. In total - Ours is an ART-FAMILY, my husband is an Architect. In the end, I keep the same belief with Louise Fresco - “ Food, in the end, in our own tradition, is something holy. It's not about nutrients and calories. It's about sharing. It’s about honesty. it’s about identity ”

Saturday 21 May 2016

TANDULJA BHAJI



Maharashtrian bhajis have a unique flavour and texture due to the use of special use of peanuts, sesame seeds, several spices and freshly prepared masalas.

Leafy vegetables have always been a part of our diet ever since I was a kid. When we were growing up my Aai always insisted on eating leafy vegetables . She grew up that way –eating home grown greens. What ever vegetables were grown in their farm would be cooked in the house and served along with. Today I am going to share a leafy veg recipe which can be prepared differently but this is my Aai’s recipe.

We don’t get green like karadi, maath, tandulja all year around. Tandulja is a kind of a potherb. I have no idea what it is called in any other language. Even google failed to help me. I hope someone is able to help me with alternate names. These are small leaves green on one side and a bit pinkish shade on the other. Sometimes you can see some a small flower head in the bunch of Tandulja leaves. Many people use to make this bhaji with powdered peanuts but at my place we use to make it with red chilli dry chutney (it’s like chilli flakes)   

Leafy greens like Tandulja, Kardai (Safflower), Maath, Shepu(Dil), Ambat Chuka (Green Sorrel), etc . were more popular in those days than Palak (Spinach) and Methi( Fenugreek). Because my Aai, I am too addicted to leafy vegetables, though not home grown.

Like the most of the leafy vegetables the only time consuming part is when you have to clean the leaves and  the leaves reduce substantially in size once cooked, so you need one whole bunch or sometimes even 2 for 2 persons.

Here I am going to share the recipe step by step.



INGREDIENTS:

1 Big Bunch Tandulja Leaves

1 Onion Finely Chopped

4-5 Garlic Cloves Crushed roughly

2 tablespoon Roasted Peanut Powder [optional]

4-5 Green Chillis slit lengthwise and chopped

½ teaspoon Mustard Seeds

½ teaspoon Cumin Seeds

Oil

2 tablespoon Red Chilli Chutney [as per taste]

Salt as required


METHOD:

 STEP 1 – First wash the leaves under running water and blanch them for about 4-5 minutes in a boiling water.[you can avoid this step and get started with the 2 step]. If blanched then drain the excess water from it.




STEP 2 - Heat a pan with oil and let splutter mustard and cumin seeds.

STEP 3 – After that add crushed garlic and sauté it well till the raw smell vanish. Then add chopped onion and cook it till  transparent.

 STEP 4 – By the time your onion is cooking [drain the excess water from the leaves if you are blanching it], take the leaves in a plate and  add red chilli chutney in it and mix it with leaves.


STEP 5 – As the onion get cooked, add the tandulja leaves in it, add salt and mix well and cook for about 5-6 minutes stirring in between.


STEP 6 -  Do check the spices. Once the moisture from the bhaji get dried it’s done. Switch off the heat and ready to serve.



Serve hot tandulja bhaji with chapatti. 
NOTE: Here I am sharing a red chilli chutney pic which is always ready there at my place. This chutney recipe will share some other day. This chutney is also used for tadka on khichadi or for other bhaji.

No comments:

Post a Comment