_________________I am Mrs. Kalpana Mhaske, a Home-Maker, from the city of 52-Gates, one of the famous heritage- destination of the world- Ajanta - Ellora Caves, Bibi-Ka- Maqbara (The Taj of Deccan) and Deogiri Fort. i.e. AURANGABAD. I admire cooking - tryout and innovate different cuisines. Basically, both of my gorgeous daughters are foodie, they have always encouraged me in the kitchen and forced to carve a Food Blog, that’s why, I am happy to share the makings with you. I am an artist too. Painting – especially, Canvas-Painting is my one more hobby. In total - Ours is an ART-FAMILY, my husband is an Architect. In the end, I keep the same belief with Louise Fresco - “ Food, in the end, in our own tradition, is something holy. It's not about nutrients and calories. It's about sharing. It’s about honesty. it’s about identity ”

Sunday 12 February 2017

INSTANT OASTS IDLI



I am fond of oats and love to try different recipes with oats for breakfast. I wanted to try instant oats idli for a long time. They looked very tempting to try. Here I used Quaker oats for my recipe and it works well, even saffola oats is also good. I just modified the quantity and a recipe a bit suit our taste and the result was soft, fluffy, smooth and tasty idlis. I am sure that you all also like the recipe and make it for breakfast when craving for idlis and need an instant idli recipe. I love this recipe so much and this tastes similar to the usual idli, but more healthy undoubtedly. I am a huge fan of idli and can have it any time of a day. Infact, I love Southy stuff like idlis, dosas, appams, idiyappam and medu vadas and tried many variations of it as per my convenience. Sometimes, hunger for idlis and forgot to soak the rice and dal to prepare the traditional idli batter and I get annoyed with myself. It’s easy, quick and healthy breakfast dish for all age groups. To make more healthy you may add fresh veggies in it which I have mentioned below in notes section. Oats idlis are great even for kids short break lunch box. So next time give a try to this instant oats idli and don’t forget to share the comments if you like the recipe.  


INGREDIENTS:
1 Cup Quick Cooking Oats [I used Qualer oats here for my recipe]
½ Cup Fine Sooji / Rawa / Samolina
½ Cup Fresh Curd [see notes]
Chopped Coriander
2-3 Chopped Green Chillies [see notes]
10-12 Curry Leaves, Chopped Finely
1 teaspoon Ginger, Chopped Finely
8-10 Cashews, Chopped
1-2 tablespoon Grated Coconut
½ teaspoon Crushed Black Pepper
A pinch of Asafoetida
Salt as per taste
½ teaspoon Cumin Seeds
½ teaspoon Mustard Seeds
½ teaspoon Split Black Gram [Urad Dal]
1 teaspoon Bengal Gram [Chana Dal]
1 teaspoon Eno / ½  teaspoon Baking Soda
1 tablespoon Oil
Water as per needed


METHOD:
STEP 1 – Take oats in a mixer grinder and blend/grind it to a fine powder/ flour.
STEP 2 – Heat a pan with oil and lets crackle the cumin-mustard seeds in it.

STEP 3 – Then add both the urad dal and chana dal in it and cook till golden brown.

STEP 4 – Add a pinch of asafoetida and chopped cashews in it. Then add curry leaves and chopped green chillies in it and cook for a minute.

STEP 5 – After that add rawa and stir it well for 2-3 minutes.

STEP 6 – Then add oats powder in it and stir very well. Keep on stirring often while roasting the flour.

STEP 7 – Roast it for about 4-5 minutes.
STEP 8 – Remove it in another bowl and add chopped coriander,salt and grated coconut in it. Let it cool completely.

STEP 9 – Now add curd and mix.

STEP 10 – Add water and stir well. You should have a medium consistency. Cover it and allow the batter to rest for 5-7 minutes.

STEP 11 – By that time, grease the idli moulds with some oil or ghee. Also heat water in the idli steamer.


STEP 12 – Then add eno / fruit salt in the batter and mix the batter quickly.
Now the batter becomes less fluffy and soft. Be quick in this step so that the eno is mixed evenly in the batter.

STEP 13 – Pour a ladle ful of batter in the idli moulds. [see notes]

STEP 14 – Place the moulds in the steamer and cover it and steam the idlis for about 10-15 minutes.
Taste with a toothpick, if the inserted toothpick comes out clean means idlis are ready.

STEP 15 – Allow the idlis to cool for 5 minutes. Then remove them with a spoon dipped in oil. Idlis are ready to serve.


Serve these piping hot, light, spongy and healthy idlis with coconut chutney or sambar or tangy tomato chutney.


NOTES: You can skip adding curd and add about 1/ 2-1 of the lemon Juic to get a slight sour taste.
You can add grated carrot, chopped french beans and steamed peas in this recipe to give more crunch to the idlis. If adding veggies then add them in Step No. 4.
 As the batter have eno in it, try to use the batter in one steaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment