_________________I am Mrs. Kalpana Mhaske, a Home-Maker, from the city of 52-Gates, one of the famous heritage- destination of the world- Ajanta - Ellora Caves, Bibi-Ka- Maqbara (The Taj of Deccan) and Deogiri Fort. i.e. AURANGABAD. I admire cooking - tryout and innovate different cuisines. Basically, both of my gorgeous daughters are foodie, they have always encouraged me in the kitchen and forced to carve a Food Blog, that’s why, I am happy to share the makings with you. I am an artist too. Painting – especially, Canvas-Painting is my one more hobby. In total - Ours is an ART-FAMILY, my husband is an Architect. In the end, I keep the same belief with Louise Fresco - “ Food, in the end, in our own tradition, is something holy. It's not about nutrients and calories. It's about sharing. It’s about honesty. it’s about identity ”

Monday 2 January 2017

APPAMS



Appam is nothing but the fermented bread made out of Rice and Coconut. Appam is specially popular among the Christians of Kerala. This recipe of Appam is shared by my friend Sushma Hiten from Bangalore who is not South Indian but a masterchef and very dear to me. Some say that Appams was adapted from Jewish people who migrated to Kerala. Times have changed and I would say, Appam has become an identity of all Keralites. There are numerous variations of Appam. I tried it for very first time but only two came out properly. But will definitely going to try again and again. This Appam recipe is made with yeast. But you can make appams without yeast too and I will be adding this without yeast version also in some days. This recipe need only minimum ingredients  I served this with Chicken Stew and it was delicious. So here is the recipe with step by step pictures. Hope you all like it.  



INGREDIENTS:


2 Cups Rice Flour

1 ½ tablespoon Yeast

2-3 tablespoon Sugar

 Coconut Milk as required [fresh or tetra pack is also fine]



METHOD:


For Yeast Proofing:

STEP 1 - Take ½ cup warm water. Sprinkle yeast and sugar on it.

STEP 2 - Cover and let this solution sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes or till it becomes bubbly and frothy. If it doesn’t froth in 10 minutes, just throw it away and again proof the yeast.


For Making Batter:

STEP 1 - Add this frothed yeast mixture to rice flour along with coconut milk. It should be thinner consistency then idli batter.

STEP 2 - Mix well so that no lumps are there. Cover and let it double or triple in volume. 2 hour time is enough 

STEP 3 – Just give a stir and at last add salt when doing it.

STEP 4 – Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat. Pour a ladle full batter on it and just rotate the pan so as to spread the batter.

STEP 5 – Cover the pan and cook it for few minutes.The base would become nicely light golden. Once it’s free from the pan remove it.

STEP 6 – Repeat the same with the rest of the batter and serve.


                                      Serve with coconut chutney/ veg or non-veg stew and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment