_________________I am Mrs. Kalpana Mhaske, a Home-Maker, from the city of 52-Gates, one of the famous heritage- destination of the world- Ajanta - Ellora Caves, Bibi-Ka- Maqbara (The Taj of Deccan) and Deogiri Fort. i.e. AURANGABAD. I admire cooking - tryout and innovate different cuisines. Basically, both of my gorgeous daughters are foodie, they have always encouraged me in the kitchen and forced to carve a Food Blog, that’s why, I am happy to share the makings with you. I am an artist too. Painting – especially, Canvas-Painting is my one more hobby. In total - Ours is an ART-FAMILY, my husband is an Architect. In the end, I keep the same belief with Louise Fresco - “ Food, in the end, in our own tradition, is something holy. It's not about nutrients and calories. It's about sharing. It’s about honesty. it’s about identity ”

Wednesday 6 September 2017

SPICY VERMICELLI / SEVAYI UPMA

Spicy Vermicelli / Sevayi Upma is a traditional and popular South Indian Breakfast. It is easy to make, delicious and filling. Upma is mostly made with Rawa/ Sooji /Samolina. However, nowadays you get to see a lot of different kind of versions like idli upma, vermicelli upma etc. Generally, you get vermicelli made from Maida, Rawa and Wheat. Here I made my upma with homemade wheat flour vermicelli. But you can try it with the one you have. In North India, vermicelli is usually made only as a dessert but the day I tasted this spicy version, I was hooked on it. It is loaded with veggies and is a healthy and colourful dish. It is equally great for breakfast or snack. My mom used to make it and it was out of this world. But now, Mom is no more, so I started preparing it on my own. It is spicy, and stomachs and heart were satisfied after eating them. Sweet vermicelli tastes awesome however spicy has it’s own taste and flavour. So next time think for this recipe when you are craving for some spicy breakfast or evening snack.

INGREDIENTS:
1 Cup Vermicelli/ Sevayi [see notes]
1 Cup Water
1 Carrot Grated
½ Cup All Coloured Bell Peppers , chopped in small chunks[red+green+yellow]
1 Medium Sized Tomato Chopped
2-3 Green Chillies, chopped
½ Cup Boiled Green Peas / Matar
½ Cup Boiled Sweet Corn Kernels
½ Grated Cabbage
Salt
Chopped Coriander Leaves
Half Lemon Juice

For Tempering:
2 tablespoon Oil
½ teaspoon Cumin Seeds
½ teaspoon Mustard Seeds
1 teaspoon Urad Dal
1 sprig Curry Leaves
A pinch of Asafoetida

METHOD:
STEP 1 – Heat a wide pan with oil, splutter cumin and mustard seeds, add asafoetida , urad dal, curry leaves and chopped green chillies.
STEP 2 – Add chopped cabbage, grated carrot, chopped bell peppers and cook for few minutes till the raw smell vanish.
STEP 3 – Then add corn kernels and matar and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
STEP 4 – Now add chopped tomatoes in it and cook well.
STEP 5 – Season it with slat and mix it well.
STEP 6 – Now add vermicelli in it, mix it well and roast the vermicelli for 2-3 minutes.
STEP 7 – Add water in it and mix it well.

STEP 8 - Cover the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes.
STEP 9 – Drizzle some lemon juice and mix it properly.
STEP 10 – Now garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.
Serve spicy vermicelli for breakfast or as an evening snack.
NOTE: Here I used homemade wheat sevayi for my recipe but you can use Rawa Sevayi or Bambino Vernicelli


No comments:

Post a Comment