_________________I am Mrs. Kalpana Mhaske, a Home-Maker, from the city of 52-Gates, one of the famous heritage- destination of the world- Ajanta - Ellora Caves, Bibi-Ka- Maqbara (The Taj of Deccan) and Deogiri Fort. i.e. AURANGABAD. I admire cooking - tryout and innovate different cuisines. Basically, both of my gorgeous daughters are foodie, they have always encouraged me in the kitchen and forced to carve a Food Blog, that’s why, I am happy to share the makings with you. I am an artist too. Painting – especially, Canvas-Painting is my one more hobby. In total - Ours is an ART-FAMILY, my husband is an Architect. In the end, I keep the same belief with Louise Fresco - “ Food, in the end, in our own tradition, is something holy. It's not about nutrients and calories. It's about sharing. It’s about honesty. it’s about identity ”

Thursday 19 January 2017

UPMA LOADED WITH VEGETABLES

Vegetable Rawa Upma is very easy, quick and classic recipe and a popular South Indian breakfast. Even I love some breakfast recipe when served for dinner like Dosa, Idlis and many more. Never tried rawa upma before marriage so failed many time. But now I must say I am quite good in cooking. My father like upma sticky with more water and that dry one. I also like upma with available seasonal veggies in hand to it and make it wholesome. In my opinion, rawa upma should be very soft and should just melt in your mouth. Traditionally Rawa Upma is with Sooji / Rawa along with vegetables and seasoning. This combination is popularly called Chow Chow Bhat in Karnataka. I love sweet corn and Capsicum mostly in my upma. Tomatoes add zing to the palate and tastes delicious too. An excellent breakfast dish, Vegetable Rawa Upma which is easy, delicious and even healthy.



INGREDIENTS:
1 Cup Rawa [medium rawa/ semolina]
2 tablespoon Oil
A pinch of Asafoetida / Hing 
¼ teaspoon Mustard Seeds
¼ teaspoon Cumin Seeds
½ teaspoon Channa Dal
½ teaspoon Urad Dal
1/8 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
3-4 Green Chilies
1-2 strands Curry Leaves
1 Onion
¼ Cup Green Peas
¼ Cup Corn Karnels [boiled]
½ Carrot, cut into juliennes
1 small Capsicum, chopped
½ teaspoon Ginger, finely chopped
Salt
 2 ½ Cup Hot Water
Lemon Juice to taste
1-2 tablespoon Grated Coconut
Chopped Coriander  
METHOD:
STEP 1 – Chop the veggies separately and keep ready.
STEP 2 – Add oil in a wide pan and crackle cumin-mustard seeds and add roughly crushed peanuts, chana dal and urad dal in it. Fry till dals turn golden brown. Add Asafoetida in it.
STEP 3 – Add chopped green chillies, curry leaves and chopped onions in it and fry it for 1 minute on medium flame.
STEP 4 – Add chopped veggies and grated carrot and mix well. Cook for about 1-2 minutes. 
STEP 5 – Now add a pinch of turmeric powder and salt in it. Add rawa and roast it about 7-8 minutes or till you feel  a nice aroma. [see tips]
STEP 6 – Then add hot water and cover it immediately. [see notes]
STEP 7 – Cook it for next 1-2 minutes and switch off the flame.

STEP 8 - Garnish with grated coconut and chopped coriander and serve.

Serve hot with a sprinkle of lemon juice. I love my upma with mango pickle so I serve it like this way.

NOTES: *You can roast rawa beforehand to start the main procedure.
                  *Be careful when you add water. It gets splutter so take care.  


No comments:

Post a Comment