_________________I am Mrs. Kalpana Mhaske, a Home-Maker, from the city of 52-Gates, one of the famous heritage- destination of the world- Ajanta - Ellora Caves, Bibi-Ka- Maqbara (The Taj of Deccan) and Deogiri Fort. i.e. AURANGABAD. I admire cooking - tryout and innovate different cuisines. Basically, both of my gorgeous daughters are foodie, they have always encouraged me in the kitchen and forced to carve a Food Blog, that’s why, I am happy to share the makings with you. I am an artist too. Painting – especially, Canvas-Painting is my one more hobby. In total - Ours is an ART-FAMILY, my husband is an Architect. In the end, I keep the same belief with Louise Fresco - “ Food, in the end, in our own tradition, is something holy. It's not about nutrients and calories. It's about sharing. It’s about honesty. it’s about identity ”

Tuesday 3 April 2018

APPAM WITHOUT YEAST

Appam is one of the special breakfast recipe like poori which I love to prepare. It is my long time wish to make an appam recipe without using yeast. Finally, I succeeded in my attempt because of my southy friend Mincy Jeevan. I have already tried and posted preparation of appam with yeast earlier. But love this without yeast version and it is so easy and simple which needs practice only. Try this absolutely guilt free, yummy, soft appam recipe for breakfast and you will love it. I served it with veg stew which is again Mincy’s recipe. My family loved it and I feel proud of myself when I heard from her that it was perfectly appam which are crispy and soft, melt in mouth. Appam laced rice crepes which is a ouoular breakfast in Kerala. Soaked rice and coconut ground into a smooth batter, allowed to ferment overnight and baking soda is added just before making appam. Here I used store brought coconut milk, it gets even more easier as all you need to do is mix and rest it overnight. But I promise, next time I am going to try it with homemade coconut milk. Traditionally, appams are prepared in an appam pam or appachatti but if you do not have the pan, just sue your refular non-stick pan as I used here for making appam. Mostly Palappam is served with sweetened coconut milk and veg stew for veg option . Here I served it with veg stew and mutton curry both and relish.   
INGREDIENTS:
1 Cup Rice
One handful Fresh Coconut , grated[1/4 Cup ]
¼ Cup Cooked Rice [see notes]
A pinch Baking Soda [optional]
1 teaspoon Sugar
½ teaspoon Salt / as needed
METHOD:
STEP 1 – Wash and soak the rice for 4-5 hours.
STEP 2 – Drain extra water from it and then grind it with the coconut to a fine paste.
STEP 3 – Now take 1-2 tablespoon of prepared batter along with 1 cup of water, mix it and make sure that the batter combines well with water.
STEP 4 – Turn on the gas stove on medium flame and cook the mixture for 2-3 minutes. Add sugar in it and mix it well.
The mixture will thicken and turns transparent thick mixture. Cool the mixture.
STEP 5 – Transfer the prepared cooked batter into appam batter, mix well making sure that there are no lumps.
STEP 6 – Cover and ferment the batter in warm place for about 7-8 hours or till batter gets fermented well.
STEP 7 – Add salt in the batter and mix it once gently.
Add baking soda here if using. 
Add water if required to get pouring consistency  batter.

STEP 8 – Heat appam pan [see notes] over medium flame and pour a ladlefull of batter into the pan.
STEP 9 – Immediately swirl/ spin the pan to spread the batter in a circle motion. Now increase the heat.
STEP 10 – Cover the pan and cook the appam for about 2 minutes or until the edges turns golden brown and get cooked completely.
STEP 11 – Finally, carefully remove the appam from the pan and serve it hot with sambar or any vegetable curry.
Serve appam with any vegetable gravy/ curry/ chicken curry/ egg curry or stew.
NOTES: * For this recipe you can use the leftover rice while grinding the paste.
              *I don’t have appam pan so I have prepared it in a non-stick kadai/ pan.
              *Adding soda is totally optional. It is added to get the perfect texture.
              *Ferment the batter well else the appam will not be soft and flaky.

No comments:

Post a Comment